Monday, July 9, 2007

IOWA : Clinton, Corn, Pigs and the Media Pen


I just returned from the great state of Iowa which, according to my limited observations, seemed to live up to many of its stereotypes. Yes, the people are REALLY NICE there. Yes, there are lots and LOTS OF CORNFIELDS and the pig refineries really do SMELL AWFUL.

As many of you know, candidate Hillary Clinton brought out the big gun last week and campaigned alongside her husband in the Hawkeye state.

The former president helped draw large crowds and the new presidential candidate did a pretty impressive job at keeping their attention - delivering strong speeches and appearing natural as she took center stage. No easy task.

Her local young press team, unfortunately, lived up to several stereotypes as well - bossy, impulsive, chatty, arbitrary and downright INEXPERIENCED... not ready for prime-time, not even in Des Moines.

Throughout the tour of Iowa, members of the press found themselves penned up and far away from candidate Clinton.

I overheard one press aide tell photographers that the media riser, 2oo feet from the front of the stage, would be be an excellent place to take close up photographss of Senator Clinton and the former president.
When one photographer politely explained that it's best to shoot close ups close up, the aide responded "I encourage you to check out our second position, it's a great shot of the stage." The "great shot" position is perfect if you like a back view of a candidate's head from 100 feet.

Last time I checked, those don't make the front page.

4 comments:

Jane Brandt said...

OK. I've tried to post twice now and I hope this time it works!

I'm a native of Iowa, and yes, we are really nice people. If this post goes through, I'll add some more!

Jane Brandt said...

I haven't lived in Iowa since 1984 but I still go back at least a couple times a year to see my parents in Burlington. I always watch the presidential coverage about Iowa with great interest to see how many stereotypes I can catch. The worst of course are the ones that go to some podunk area and report that five people went to Bessie's house on the farm to caucus. I also remember once that Tom Brokaw wore a flannel shirt and wandered around a farm. I like Tom, I think he's from Nebraska. But PLEASE, spare me the flannel shirt.

JK said...

Unfortuntaley TV crews and campaign teams love cliches. I found the excessive haystacks at campaign events a bit much.

Can you explain to us what a caucus is in layman's terms?

I still don't think I quite understand it.

Lisen said...

My husband is a Hawkeye - we go often to see family. I feel so sorry for poor Iowans...you think the rest of us get tired of the never-ending political campaigns...sheesh. And there's nothing like a campaign to capitalize on regional stereotypes.