Friday, July 27, 2007

Fueling at the Kum & Go



ROAD food that can KILL.

Take a good look people. This is what brunch on the road looks like when you have 90 minutes to get to an event nearly 100 miles away.

On July 4, 2007 at the Clear Lake Kum & Go, I ate a "tornado." For those not in the Kum & Go know, a tornado is a rubbery, chili and cheese hot dog wrapped in a crisp and greasy tortilla shell. It was crunchy, chewy, melty, salty, tangy, revolting and delicious. I enjoyed it so much, I ran back inside and ordered another one.

I think this may be the culinary equivalent of watching tabloid television for some. It's repulsive and disgusting and yet it calls us to consume more. My apologies to my cameraman.

(Photos courtesy of M.E. Sprengelmeyer)

1 comment:

Captain Crab said...

As a veteran traveller of the state of Iowa here is a bit of advice when Dining at convenience stores:

NEVER eat the burgers, I have no idea what that stuff is.

The chicken tastes like the fish tastes like the tenderloin, etc. What ever they put in the fryer tastes the same. Only the texture is different.