Monday, July 9, 2007


I WOULDN'T WALK TWO MILES IN HIS SHOES!!!

Even though I sometimes loathe the people who work for them, I occasionally find myself feeling sorry for the individuals I cover.

Former president Bill Clinton was the object of my sympathy on July 4th at a parade in Clear Lake, Iowa.

I was seated, chatting with some locals, when the motorcade came speeding to the parade staging area. Out came Clinton wearing jeans and Cowboy boots. I felt terrible and uncomfortable looking at him. He was not wearing the type of jeans that one wears around the house. He was wearing the type that one wears when they go out. The ones that hurt a little bit under the best conditions. He smiled, he shook, he walked, he signed, he posed and he was dripping. He could not hide in a corner, take of his shoes, or just stop. Quitting wasn't an option so he persevered and I painfully watched. The last few blocks he hastened his step, posed a little faster and practically dove into the air-conditioned black SUV for some relief minutes after finishing the parade.

Beware icons of the 21st century: cowboy boots, tight jeans and 4th of July parades don't mix well.

3 comments:

Lourdes said...

Love your insight! The photos that make the paper never show the candidates all sweaty and uncomfortable -- but clearly they have to be at some point! This is one of many reasons I'll never be a candidate -- I hate the campaigning.

Tawny Dotson said...

I will definitely have to keep in touch as I'm very interested in how this election will go! Any thoughts on the difference in coverage based on gender or race this year?

JK said...

Perhaps I am Naive. But, I don't think as many people are as phased by gender as they had been in the past. In talking to a lot of Iowa voters, informally and in interviews, most people seemed much more interested in whether a candidate has what it takes to turn the country around in terms of a plan, experience etc, rather than the sex or race of a candidate.

At our own shop, we have shied away from the "first woman ever" story as people already know that and want to learn more about the candidates on issues and their place in the horse race of poll numbers and fundraising.

Esquire Magazine, however, had an interesting headline this month for an article on John Edwards which asks the question if a white man can become president this time around. If the election was held today, the answer would be no.